Should You Check a Job Applicant’s Social Media Posts?

178161035Employers are wondering whether browsing public social media sites to learn more about a job applicant is worth the potential risks. A CareerBuilder survey found that 39% of employers use social networking sites to research job candidates, but do the other 61% have good reasons to stay away?  Continue reading

Keep Cross-Examination Short (Unless You Shouldn’t)

153165013A successful evangelist once said about his sermons: “Nobody ever got religion after the first twenty minutes.” His time estimate may be wrong, but every evangelist and trial attorney has wrestled with the short attention span of their audiences. Continue reading

Like Cheese, Foreign Prenups Don’t Travel Well

177708665The following is a guest blog post by Peter M. Walzer of Walzer Melcher LLP in Los Angeles, a firm focused exclusively on family law. Mr. Walzer has been a Certified Family Law Specialist for 25 years.

It’s not uncommon for out-of-state attorneys to call California attorneys asking them to “just approve and sign a prenup.” The caller has drafted a premarital agreement in another state or country that he or she hopes will be enforced in California. Those hopes are usually dashed. Continue reading

5 Things to Do to Prepare for Voir Dire

78724287When next faced with preparing for jury voir dire examination before trial, consider these five practical suggestions. Continue reading

Revenge Porn Victims Have New Rights

102733346In 2013 and again in 2015, California amended its disorderly conduct statute to include instances of “revenge porn.” See Pen C §647(j)(4). The first convictions are coming down with more likely to follow. Continue reading

Contract Drafting 101

463468333Do you feel like you learned a lot about contract law in law school, but very little on how to actually draft one? You’re not alone. Check out these principles of contract structure and organization, and you’ll have no problem drafting your next contract. Continue reading

Shacking Up May Shake Up Support

101395434It’s popular knowledge that remarriage is the death knell to spousal support, but did you know that cohabiting can also affect spousal support? With love and plans to live together floating around on this Valentine’s Day, it’s wise to consider this financial reality. Continue reading

%d bloggers like this: